Thursday 16 December 2010

Spencer Steel

The above name will mean little to most of you, unless you have had a look at the blog I have been following, which is shown on my profile: http://thekemokid.blogspot.com/

Spencer was someone I met about 7 years ago when I was 25. We had maybe three or four dates and quickly realised it wouldn't be progressing any further. However, we stayed in touch and I have closely followed both the blogs he has written in the last 7 years.

When I met him he was 18 months sober having spent many years drinking and taking drugs, to the point where he ended up in intensive care in a coma I think, for a few days. He had the courage to stop drinking after that and never waivered from that decision. I know he gave a lot of inspiration giving chairs at AA meetings. He was always so very honest about everything in life, I was brought to tears on more than one occassion reading about his struggles with life, with depression, and with his search for love.

He started another blog a year ago as he was diagnosed with Cancer. The irony of this should be easily apparent. He had gone 'straight edge', become a vegetarian and had run a marathon. I followed this blog as well and have read with trepidation and dread as each subsequent treatment seemed to make no difference.

There was an entry today to say that Spencer passed away at his local hospice on 5th Dec with his father and a close friend present. Clearly I cannot get to his memorial service as I would have loved to. So I am doing the only thing I can and writing a tribute to him here. He was a truly amazing and inspirational man and he will be missed by so many people.

His last words to me were as a comment on one of my posts here: http://elfi35601.blogspot.com/2010/11/bondi-beach-baby.html

So, to honour Spencer I will indeed try, very hard, to enjoy EVERYTHING.



xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment