Tuesday 4 January 2011

Ferrero Rocher...

As in, I'm now spoiling you people with more posts in one day than you could shake a very small stick at :o)

I just also wanted top mention something, and this may make any of you feeling a tinge of the green eyed monster about my employment status!

Having no job, even if voluntary, makes you feel funny. I've been meeting a lot of new people over here and the second question ithey always ask is 'what do you do?'. I've had an excuse up to now as I've been so new, and have been able to say that and reel off what my last job or jobs were.

But it makes you feel funny. And highlights how much we all define ourselves by our jobs. 'Unemployed' just doesn't have a nice ring to it. I told Adam the other night that he had not actually done that well for himself in picking a girlfriend who is an unemployed foreigner who doesn't know anyone! He pointed out that I am voluntarily unemployed, and I am, but still... it doesn't sound good.

And the other thing is that... I'm not quite sure how to put this, but philosopically, having no job is having an effect on me. If you have a job, your life is very structured and regimented and... sort of closed. You know what you're doing day to day and it's the same thing, and it's safe.

If you have nothing to do, really nothing... suddenly all the world opens up to you and it feels a bit overwhelming as all the options go through your head over and over again. It's really hard to know what to focus in on.

Anyway, I 'm not moaning, just sharing :o)

xxxx

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking a lot lately what it would feel like to just not have something to do on a regular basis for a bit (i.e work), and be able to focus on things you always wanted to try. I don't think I would like to be without a job for a long period of time but your time perios is perfect. Embrace this opportunity, enjoy it and don't waste a second! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tiger! I will.... I'm so happy here... it's surprisingly confusing to be unemployed is all :o) xxx I'm throwing myself in the deep end is all...

    ReplyDelete