Friday 14 January 2011

Theft and a diamond ring

Luckily the two are not related!

The diamond ring first... here is the ring I made!! It is silver wire twisted around and around and soldered in about 20 places to hold it together, then beaten with a round hammer to give it a textured finish. Then I attached three small diamonds to it, they are all slightly different colours - the top one is a smokey colour, the middle is fairly clear and the bottom is a bit pinky. Also, I made some aquamarine earrings - I also made the silver wire hooks with them! The teacher says that the ring could sell for between 100 and 125 GBP. The materials cost about 20GBP! And it took me about 8 hours to make. There is a student exhibition and sale at the end of the month and I might put them in... maybe not for sale, but I could see if anyone likes them at least, maybe get a commission!! I might at least sell my first ring, that is too big for me. But I'm probably getting carried away... although I am going to sign up for a 7 week course for March and April and make more things and maybe I can sell some. We'll see..... Photos and theft story below...





So - theft. Today I had lunch with Adam in a cafe and a man came in and stole a bottle of wine and put it in his jacket and tried to walk out... he saw Adam looking at him and he said 'you didn't see that, right?' and Adam said 'I did see that, put it back'. And the man didn't want to but Adam kept on telling him and said he would call the police... then he said just put it back or I'll tell the people working here and after a bit the guy did, he said 'just don't tell them and I'll put it back quietly', which he did. I felt a little bit sorry for him as he was clearly an alcohoic and he did say 'I really need it' but that doesn't make stealing right. And I was very proud of Adam and I think he was very brave. Because the man was a bit... well, maybe not mean looking, but... unsavoury looking, you know? And afterwards the staff came over and they were two girls and they said thank you very much to Adam as they were too scared to do anything.

I have a brave, feisty boyfriend!! Yay for me :o) Yay for Adam actually...

So, what else? The weather here is gorgeous today, bright and sunny and warm and cloudless. I am going horseriding with my new flatmate and her colleagues tomorrow. Tonight at 8pm I am meeting a girl who is also new here, I found an ad on gumtree that she put up, basically saying she's new here and looking to make new friends. Perfect :o) Also, I replied to an ad from someone saomeone saying they were looking for 'Gurls friend' which I took to mean a girl looking for friends as it said the same kind of thing, new here, looking to meet people and make friends.... although the reply is from a man who has already said 'how lucky is your boyfriend' in response to the fact that I am generally not free at the weekends due to Adam. Hmm... I have written back to say, and I quote 'I am only looking for platonic freinds as I have a boyfriend who I adore, so as long as that is OK with you, then lets meet up'.

I am not 100 % convinced but am happy to give it a try. I can always just leave if it's not right.

And my mum and Aunt get here in 4 days!! So very excited....

Take care my lovely readers, and please let me know what you think of the ring. Flattery not needed, just honest thoughts on whether I could actually make more stuff like the ring and sell it? Because I'm really thinking about it...

xxx

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad there's a photo on here of you with your ring on! Though it looks like your toe cos I can't see all your finger. I love the ring, but it's a bit large for me anyway. I mean, thick. Could you make it more compact? But love the strands! Also, loving the earrings, very classic!

    Also, go Adam! Love his law abiding-ness (and as a 'guardian' in that quiz, you know I really do!) and very brave for him to do it. Hero! Though, also, can't imagine knife crime being a big issue in NZ - is it?!

    Don't meet that pervy man! He'll be a horrid perv!!!

    Hol xxxx

    ReplyDelete