Friday 19 November 2010

Bored with Boarding

Right, that's it. I want my own room in my own flat. This dorming malarky is starting to annoy me. I have another room to see tonight, it's sharing with two Australian girls in a very central flat, but best of all the room is already furnished. My fall back option is the other one I saw, but it would be so much easier not to have to buy any furniture.

I went to an agency today and had a good chat about my CV. They have a contract project admin role that they want to put me forward for. It looks a bit boring to be honest, but beggars can't be choosers. On the plus side I did the best ever in the tests they gave me (97% for word, 100% for excel and 51 words per minute typing with 0 mistakes) which was nice, and that was with a hangover, no coffee and no breakfast. Or lunch.

So, last night something funny happened. I was feeling rather bored on my own so i decided to go down to the hostel bar again and sit and read my book. It was about 10.30pm and it was a lot busier than before. I'd only been there about 10 minutes when a girl ran up to me and said "are you Fiona?" which confused me for a second, she looked familiar but I couldn't place her. And then I realised it was a girl I met in Fiji! She was there with a guy who was also at beachcomber resort and they had met up again by chance in Auckland when they arrived for the same bus tour. They were there with the Kiwi Experience bus, which is full of youngsters and rather rambunctious by all accounts. There were about 20 of them and they were playing a rather complicated drinking game, for which I needed rules (there were about 12 of them) written down. It was things like you weren't allowed to point at anything, you couldn't say the word 'drink', whenever anyone shouted 'shark' you had to get off the floor, or 'sniper' and you had to get down on the floor. It was silly but kind of fun. So I hung out with them for a couple of hours and we did a pub crawl. I chatted for most of the time to an Alaskan from the Airforce, which was pretty interesting. Then, almost simultaneously he caught me smoking and found out I'm 32. After that he completly ignored me. I don't know if it was the cigarette or my age, or both, but it was a little disconcerting! He was 27 and even at that age he was noticeably older than the rest of them.

Um.... reality is starting to bite now. I'm slipping out of holiday mode and for the first time in the last couple of days I have felt the faintest of twinges of homesickness. They're fairly quickly dismissed as I simply can't let myself get maudlin, I've got no-one to pull me out of it so I need to just not get there in the first place. But anyway, I'm reassuring myself that it's totally normal and to be fair I probably have been lucky to not feel it up to now. It's officially a month since I left and I hope you all miss me more than words can say :o)

But I'm starting to wonder if maybe travelling around wouldn't be more fun than going back to work? Well, I mean, of course it would be. It's easier to meet people in hostels than settled in a flat I think, although harder to form any lasting friendships. And I don't feel like going back to work!! Or if I do, I feel like doing something completely different. Volunteering maybe. Or working for a charity. Of course, I could do that. I think I'll look into it..... I've been reading 'Half the Sky' and it's very moving and motivational, it's all about women and how they're marginalised and brutalised, and more importantly, what you can do to help. I really, really recommend you read it. I might have said that before, but anyway, that's because I mean it! And it's not just for women. Have a look: http://www.halftheskymovement.org/

Right, I'll stop rambling now :o)

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment