Wednesday 17 November 2010

Couple's massage and facial

Well, it has been a fun couple of days! Monday night was quiet, as was Tuesday during the day. I wandered round a bit and did some flat hunting and job hunting. I've applied for an executive assistant position to 2 GMs which needs Lotus notes experience. I used Lotus Notes in two of my jobs over a 6.5 year period and I prefer it to Outlook so that should be fine. It actually looked as thought hte position had already been filled as the expiry date for it was 9th nov, but I thought I'd apply anyway. The recruiter got straight on the phone to me though and wants to meet up soon, so that's good news. Today I've been applying for an IRD number (like an NI number) and applying for a bank account. Plus yesterday I went to see this house: http://wellington.gumtree.co.nz/c-Flat-House-Share-flatshare-houseshare-Room-for-rent-in-2-bedroom-villa-in-Mount-Victoria-W0QQAdIdZ241176647 and am thinking about tkaing the room there. Pluses are: it's central, the house is really sweet, the girl living there is 36 and seems really nice (mostly it's 18 and 20 year olds, something I found quite strange - there are two unis here and it seems that it's pretty much only students who flatshare, and I don't want to live with children!!). Minuses are: it's quite expensive ($800NZ - OK, it's only about 400GBP but salaries here are less and most places are closer to $600 a month), there is no outside space and the room does not come furnished (also common here) so I'd have a to buy a bed.

So, I'm undecided - what do you guys think? Should I keep looking or take it?

So, what else? On Tuesday night I was sat in the hostel bar on my own with a glass of wine and reading a book when a boy ran up to me and said hello. He sat down and we starting chatting and within 10 minutes he said that he was thinking of getting a massage the next day. If you know me at all well you will know I love my massages and I had been thinking all day that I wanted one, so it seemed like a sign! We agreed that we would go together the next day and he looked somewhere up on his iphone... and came up with a 'couples massage and facial' deal. Now this might sound a bit odd, but I didn't hesitate for a second and I booked it for 3pm the next afternoon. You have the treatments on couches right next to each other, naked except for pants and towels. It could have been awkward, but it wasn't. It was really nice actually, although Graham (that's his name) was being tortured and I could hear the pain he was in! It was two small balinese women doing it, but they were very, very strong and liked giving really firm pressure. We both had bruises today from it :o) And of course, they assumed we were a couple, and looked fairly perplexed when Graham told them we had only met each other the night before. How funny....

So that was good and we had dinner together and a few drinks last night as well. Unfortunately he's gone, carrying on his holiday, but it was really nice to hang out with someone fun for a day and a half. Also, he has lent me his ipod! I said I was really missing having one (I came away with a CD player of all things!) as I had lost mine and so he gave me his spare one. I need to return it in May when I am back, which I will do of course. But that was really very kind of him. I hope I like his music taste.....

So, what to do today....  Might go and buy some work clothes. Need to get properly settled. Actually there's lots to do in Wellington. There are loads of leaflets in all the cafes and I'm thinking about going to yoga and medidation classes as well as the theatre and a comedy show. And an art-house cinema. I won't get bored!!

Here's a pic of Wellington harbour and the Mount Victoria part of town:

Wellington harbour

Mount Victoria, Wellington


1 comment:

  1. Graham and you have the right idea I think. It's the serendipity of who you meet and what you do that makes the difference between a holiday and travelling, and there is no point if you don't take (safe!) chances.

    Wellington looks lovely from these and your other photos. I think you will be happy there.

    ReplyDelete