Thursday 18 November 2010

Catchup...

So, I have some time and here are a few of the things I have been storing up to tell you all and kept not getting time to (please forgive any repititions from earlier posts, in case I did already tell you any of this...):

1. I was sad on 5th november, which was the day I flew from Sydney to Fiji, becuase it was Bonfire night and I love, love, love firewarks. They are one of my favourite ever things. And I love going to the displays in London. And I knew they wouldn't have it in Fiji or anywhere else  and I felt rather glum about that. But then, imagine my amazement when I got out from that man locking me in the office and into the taxi - there were fireworks going off everywhere!!! And really pretty lights strung everywhere. I was a bit confused, but then the taxi driver explained it was Diwali. What a coincidence! That really cheered me up and I got my fireworks after all, I got to watch them from the beach that night!

2. Japan has no Diet Coke. Strange but true. It has plenty of 'full fat' coke and also the coke zero, but no diet. No diet any drinks actually.

3. In NZ sweet potatoes are called Kumara. They eat avocado with nearly everything and burgers have beetroot in. And they do have diet coke, but it comes in 600ml bottles instead of 500ml ones. They have no walkers crisps. It's the small differences that you really notice... Oh and they have Woolworths here! Not sure if it's the same chain or not.

4. I can now have a shower in less than 10 minutes as opposed to over 20. I find it much easier to talk to strangers and to ask people questions without feeling shy. I can sleep through pretty much anything even after only a couple of weeks in dorms.

5. My hair hates travelling. Hates it, hates it. Hates me for making it come to all these strange hot countries and is punishing me by not behaving at all well. It has not looked 'normal' even once since I left the UK.

1 comment:

  1. How's the hair now that you're in NZ fi? Any better? Do they have frizz ease there?

    Also, in Japan they have loads of crazy flavour kit kats don't they? It's funny how having food you know becomes important to you when you're away, eh?

    Also, Diwali's fireworks go on for about a week and is always about the time of fireworks night. Used to love it in Hounslow because of the extra long fireworks show!xx

    ReplyDelete