Sunday 7 November 2010

Fi's Fijian fish fear

Hi everyone - I just thought I've been slightly rude and not said thank you yet for any comments. Thank you very much - they are all read and very much appreciated!!

So, I just thought I'd write today about the little things. The things that run through your head sometimes and usually you share with your flatmates, friends, colleagues.... well, they've all been building up in my head! So out they come...

I went swimming yesterday. Only for about 10 minutes. I was doing quite well, keeping close to the shore, the water is really warm but the waves and currents can be quite strong. Then, all of a sudden... there was a FISH in front of me. And then 2, and they were swimming at me... from a shoal of about 50 of them! They were only a few feet away from me when I noticed them. They were silver and about 15 to 20cm long mostly. I totally freaked out - I am a bit afraid of fish. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. So I scrambled to get out of the sea and nearly stepped on a big ray floating along the sand. That was enough for me. I ran out, shaking and have no plans to go back in.

Um... Nadi, where the airport is, on one of the 2 main islands, is actually pronounced 'Nahn-di' with a ah as in father. This really confused me at first as I thought they must be talking about a different town in Fiji, but luckily I was but right by Isabel before I landed.

All the Fijians on the resort... or anywhere in the tourist industry, wear hibiscus flowers behind one ear. They all smile a LOT (more than me even, and I smile quite a lot!) and say Bula! Which is hello (actually it is m-bula with an almost silent m).

And... we were all greeted at the airport by a local band of 5 or 6 men, singing, playing ucalayles (I have no idea how to spell that, sorry - the very small guitars), smiling a lot, in sarongs and with the hibiscus flowers behind their ears. They should bring that in at Heathrow I say.

For all worried about my lack of reading material, I think it might be OK. I read almost nothing yesterday and just hung out with my new friend. I still have not finished the book I have, have maybe 100 pages t go and then another big book after that. I think I should be OK. And there is a swap shop mum, but all the books are in German or Japanese. Think the English ones must all have been taken already...

Right, that's all for now... it is 12.55pm here (five minutes to midnight your time on Sunday night) and I'm about to spend my Monday lunchtime at the bar, reading, in the shade (it's just too hot in the sun) by the sea with a foot massage afterwards. Hope your Mondays are.... well... er, hope it's not too cold wherever you are :o)

1 comment:

  1. How I would love to swim with fish! And I think it's 'ukelele'! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete