Friday 5 November 2010

Putting the Fi in Fiji

Hi guys,

I am in Fiji and I am going to have a moan. Yes, I know you can't believe it... what could I possibly have to moan or complain about? I am on a desert island in the middle of the South Pacfic, it has white sand and palm trees and everything, but...

When I got to the airpoty last night, I was walking from the plane to the terminal and I saw a lovely rainbow. It's such a small thing, but I really wanted to share that rainbow with someone. I wanted to be able to say to someone 'look at that rainbow!'. But I couldn't. I considered pointing out the rainbow to strangers, but no-one was even walking close to me. So I didn't.

I was due to be picked up for free by the hostel I had book into. A man came straight up to me, and I thought it was him... he asked if I wanted to book anything for the rest of my trip and before I knew it he had whisked me away to a deserted office in the top florr and locked me in with him. I started to feel uncomfortable and realsied it certainly wasn't the driver from the hostel. He was showing me brochures and offering to book anything I wanted. He said there was no commission but I would just pay him a deposit, but I still wasn't sure about it. He did quote the right price for Beachcobmer Island though - I checked it all out on the internet although I didn't book anything but my first night. But I was worried the deposit he took wouldn't count and I'd still have to pay the full amount. Then I said I was thinking about 1 night at Navutu Stars, which is a luxury spa place. And luckily i had already checked out the rate - 525 Fijian dollars which is about 180 GBP for one night. He quoted me 645 FJD which included a deposit of 120 FJD. I did some quick maths and that decided me.

But I was in an office, locked in on the top floor! I was worried he would be weird but in the end I said I just wanted to book my first three night and that was it. I paid a deposit of about 90 FJD and we left. He had said he would drive me to my hostel but then just put me in a taxi (annoying as the pick up would have been free) but I was glad to be away from him!!

So, yes, I know, I'm an idiot. You've all been groaning and rolling your eyes and thinking how you would never have done anything so stupid. What can I say... clearly in this situation I am better travelling with someone than on my own!

Anyway, the good news is that the deposit did work for the resort I am at now. I just paid the difference between the deposit and advertised rate, so I'm happy with that. I shall just decide tomorrow maybe where I will head to next.

And also... I'm sort of a bit bored. There's very little to do, and although I love reading and have a couple of books with me, it's not... I don't know. There's couples and big groups everywhere, not so many single travellers... it's harder to meet people and I'm feeling just a tiny bit lonely for the first time since I left London. I don't know, maybe that's pretty good going.

I didn't bring enough beach clothes with me either. And all the girls are thin and in bikinis.

OK, moan over.

Here is whre I am staying:
www.beachcomberfiji.com

Here is a photo of the Island I am on:
www.travel247.ie/images/products/FJ_NAN_Beachcomber.jpg

I will uploaded my own photos soon....

:o( xxx

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry Fi, you'll find people to play with! Just give it some time! It probably is a bit of a honeymoon destination though...I guess you could practice taking arty photos with your new camera? Or go buy a really big fat book and then maybe you won't mind so much? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hol, I have perked up a bit now actually :o) Booked in a massage tomorrow. And am reading the book you gave me! It is very good... wish I had more. Will get through it in no time at this rate. And there's nothing else on the Island, nowhere to buy books :o( I have brought along 'half the sky' though - hope a book and a half will keep me for the next 5 days but that is unlikely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi fi its looks an amazing place but i understand what you mean that alone feeling sometimes it doesnt matter and at others for some reason it really does,
    A hunky man to rub in your sun tan lotion , relax and enjoy your book i have 3 kids 1 dog and 2 kittens doing my head in today the kittens are the worse we could allways swap. Hugs kris

    ReplyDelete